Monday, October 20, 2008


I choose this picture of bacteria because of how appealing it was to me. Even without the bulls-eye image the bacteria form a circular image with the arm-like pieces pointing toward the center.  Another element that heavily focus on the bacteria center is the use of color how the brighter colors like red, orange, and yellow sit atop of duller colors like blue, purple, and green. As you look the color of the bacteria gradually change from red, orange, and yellows to the more duller colors as you get closer to the center; kind of like a sun set (the longer it last the more the switch to duller/cooler colors  until darkness). As for size, since most of the objects are the same proportion nothing stands out more than anything else except for the bulls-eye overlaying it. 
By Christopher J. Delee

2 comments:

Blinky said...

I find the DNA kind of a distraction from the target. Though it tries to blend it, it simply does not bring out the target that much as I would think. Though color wise, it tries to make itself move toward the center a bit. Quite intriguing and interesting to see something try to take the form of something that is completely opposite of the actual picture.

-William Waitman

Blinky said...

This is really a visually interesting picture. I think it's a nice blend of science and art. I think the bulls eye is a double edge sword in that it gives the eye a spot to focus on in the picture but at the same time I feel myself always being drawn to it rather than looking at the rest of the picture. However, I don't know how I'd feel about it without the bulls eye, as it has the possibility of making the viewer work too much, thus not allowing them to focus on certain points and just see the forest rather than the trees which would be the total opposite of not seeing the forest for the trees. lol! But I'm stickler for detail, I love it! I do really like the contrast between light and dark in the image along with the soft glow of colors that highlight the bits of DNA. It's really quite interesting and I can understand why you'd be drawn to it. :)

- Juleah Chandler